UK News

POLICE INVESTIGATE AFTER CONGOLESE MAN YVES SAKILA DIES AFTER BEING RESTRAINED

POLICE INVESTIGATE AFTER CONGOLESE MAN YVES SAKILA DIES AFTER BEING RESTRAINED
UK News

POLICE INVESTIGATE AFTER CONGOLESE MAN YVES SAKILA DIES AFTER BEING RESTRAINED

POLICE INVESTIGATE AFTER CONGOLESE MAN YVES SAKILA DIES AFTER BEING RESTRAINED

The family of Yves Sakila, a 35-year-old Congolese man who died after becoming unresponsive while being detained by security personnel in Dublin city centre, has spoken publicly for the first time, calling for justice and a full investigation into the events surrounding his death. Mr Sakila, who had been living in Ireland since 2004, died on Friday evening following an incident on Henry Street in central Dublin.

He was described by friends and members of the community as an IT professional who had built his life in Ireland after arriving in the country as a teenager.

Video footage shared online appears to show Mr Sakila being restrained by several security staff members before Gardaí arrived at the scene.

Sources say Gardaí quickly realised he was in medical distress and immediately began performing CPR while he lay on the ground. He was later taken by ambulance to the Mater Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The incident is now under investigation by both An Garda Síochána and Fiosrú, the independent police watchdog.

Family Calls for Accountability

Speaking from Kinshasa in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Mr Sakila’s younger brother, Corneille, said the family was devastated and demanded answers.

“The family and the entire Congolese community want justice,” he said.

“We have seen the videos and it is heartbreaking. We were shocked to witness what happened to our brother in broad daylight, with people standing around while someone was clearly in danger.”

Leaders within Ireland’s Congolese community have also expressed anger and concern over the circumstances of Mr Sakila’s death.

Kembetia Bissa, a spokesperson for the Congolese Community in Ireland, confirmed that protests and vigils were being organised on Henry Street to honour Mr Sakila and demand transparency.

“People are shocked and angry,” he said, adding that further demonstrations were planned later in the week.

What Happened on Henry Street

The incident happened shortly after 5pm on Friday after Mr Sakila was suspected of shoplifting from a retail store on Henry Street.

During an attempt to flee, an elderly man in his 80s was knocked to the ground and later taken to hospital with what is believed to be a broken hip. Security personnel then detained Mr Sakila before Gardaí arrived.

Sources indicate that Gardaí initially placed handcuffs on Mr Sakila before assisting the injured pensioner. However, within moments, officers reportedly realised he had become unresponsive.

“They started CPR immediately at the scene,” one source said.

The injured man remains in hospital with injuries that are not believed to be life-threatening.

Investigations Underway

In a statement, Gardaí confirmed that an investigation had been launched into the death.

They said officers attached to Store Street Garda Station were investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident, which took place on Friday, 15 May 2026.

According to Gardaí, security personnel detained a man in connection with an alleged shoplifting incident before he later became unresponsive. Authorities also confirmed that another man was injured during the incident as the suspect attempted to flee.

Gardaí appealed to witnesses or anyone with information to contact Store Street Garda Station, the Garda Confidential Line, or any local Garda station.

Fiosrú also confirmed that it had opened an investigation after receiving a referral from a Garda Superintendent under the Policing, Security and Community Safety Act 2024.

Investigators from the watchdog attended the scene shortly after the incident occurred.

Vigils Held in Mr Sakila’s Memory

A vigil was later held on Henry Street, where members of the Congolese community gathered to pray, sing, and lay flowers in memory of Mr Sakila.

Many attendees voiced concerns about the level of force used during the detention and called for a transparent investigation into the circumstances of his death.

Friends described Mr Sakila as a hardworking and respected member of the community who had spent most of his adult life in Ireland. He had grown up in Galway and west Dublin and was known as an IT professional who had lived in the country since his teenage years.

Justice Minister Responds

Minister for Justice Jim O'Callaghan described the incident as “very distressing and concerning” and said a comprehensive investigation was essential.

“The most important thing now is that there is a thorough Garda investigation,” he said.

“Although private security personnel were initially involved, there was subsequent Garda involvement, which means there will also be a Fiosrú investigation.”

The minister extended his condolences to Mr Sakila’s family and to the wider Congolese community in Ireland. He also urged the public not to continue sharing footage of the incident online.

“I want to assure the Sakila family and the Congolese community that a very thorough investigation is ongoing,” he said.

Gardaí added that the results of a post-mortem examination would help determine the course of the investigation.

read also

May 19, 2026

MARRIED AT FIRST SIGHT TO FACE PANORAMA INVESTIGATION ABOUT SEXUAL ASSAULT ALLEGATIONS

KATIE PRICE SHARES UPDATE ON HER 'KIDNAPPED' HUSBAND AFTER FIVE DAYS OF NO CONTACT

READ