UK News

MOTHER OF THREE WOMEN WHO DROWNED IN BRIGHTON ALSO DROWNED

MOTHER OF THREE WOMEN WHO DROWNED IN BRIGHTON ALSO DROWNED
UK News

MOTHER OF THREE WOMEN WHO DROWNED IN BRIGHTON ALSO DROWNED

MOTHER OF THREE WOMEN WHO DROWNED IN BRIGHTON ALSO DROWNED

The devastated family of three sisters whose bodies were recovered from the sea off Brighton beach have revealed that their mother also died by drowning years earlier, as police continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding the tragedy. Jane Adetoro, 36, Christina Walters, 32, and Rebecca Walters, 31, all from Uxbridge in west London, were found in the water near Brighton beach in the early hours of May 13 after emergency services were called to the scene.

Their deaths have shocked both their family and the wider community, with relatives describing the sisters as quiet, close-knit women who lived private lives and shared a strong bond. Family members said they had no knowledge that the sisters had travelled to Brighton that morning, but suggested the trip may have held personal significance connected to the death of their mother, Janice Adetoro, who drowned 16 years earlier in Birmingham.

Janice, aged 43, had reportedly struggled with stress-related mental health issues before disappearing from her home in Erdington in the early hours of January 5, 2010. Following a public appeal by relatives, her body was later recovered from Brookvale Park lake.

Speaking about the sisters, their aunt said their deaths had come as a complete shock, describing them as happy and close to their family. She added that Christina had worked hard to rebuild her life after the loss of their mother.

Police have not yet established how the women entered the water, but detectives have said there is currently no evidence of criminal involvement or signs that anyone else was directly connected to the incident.

The family have also spoken out against online conspiracy theories that emerged following the deaths, calling speculation surrounding the case deeply upsetting and inaccurate.

Relatives stressed that the sisters lived quiet lives and rejected claims circulating online about their behaviour, saying the women did not drink, smoke or regularly socialise in nightlife settings.

Earlier this week, controversy arose after an AI-generated image of the sisters was shared publicly before later being withdrawn. The family subsequently released a real photograph from their teenage years.

In a heartbreaking tribute, the sisters’ father, Joseph, spoke of his “unbearable” grief following the loss of all three daughters, describing them as the light of his life and praising each of them for their individual qualities.

He said their deaths had left a void that words could not fill and spoke of the memories, love and bond they shared as a family.

A fundraising appeal launched by relatives to help cover funeral costs has raised tens of thousands of pounds, far surpassing its original target, as supporters rallied around the grieving family.

Meanwhile, Sussex Police continue to investigate what led to the tragedy, with officers reviewing extensive CCTV footage and carrying out enquiries in the Brighton area to trace the sisters’ final movements.

Police are particularly appealing for information from anyone who may have seen the women near Madeira Drive between late on May 12 and the early hours of May 13.

Chief Superintendent Adam Hays said the force was committed to understanding exactly what happened and assured the public that investigators would continue pursuing every possible line of inquiry.

One theory reportedly being considered is that at least one of the sisters may have entered the sea from the beach and encountered difficulties due to Brighton’s steep underwater drop-off, where the seabed quickly deepens and shifting pebbles can make it hard to maintain balance.

Emergency responders mounted a major search operation on the morning the bodies were discovered, involving HM Coastguard teams, a helicopter, and RNLI lifeboats from across Sussex.

The tragedy has prompted an outpouring of condolences, with local leaders and politicians expressing sympathy for the family and praise for emergency services involved in the response.

As investigations continue, police have urged the public to avoid speculation and allow the sisters’ loved ones privacy as they come to terms with the devastating loss.

read also

May 22, 2026

THREE WOMEN FOUND DEAD NEAR BRIGHTON PIER IN BEACH TRAGEDY

MOTHER OF THREE WOMEN WHO DROWNED IN BRIGHTON ALSO DROWNED

READ